The sidewalk is not just one of the most used elements in the house (because without it how would you enter your home?), but it is also a crucial part of your landscape and a great feature to introduce your style, your vibe, and your appreciation for design to anyone that walks past your property.
This is why at RH Renovation NYC we pay close attention to sidewalks, their materiality, shape, design, maintenance, and installation.
Here are our favorite top 5 sidewalk ideas for the front of your house.
- High-end brick. Brick sidewalks are not only colorful but also full of texture. They give your home a curated look as well as a splash of warm tones to bring up the vibe of your facade. In addition, brick sidewalks are also timeless. Whether you want to evoke the traditional feeling of a Victorian castle, the industrial look of an urban factory, or the contemporary feel of a rural getaway property, bricks will do the trick. Most importantly, the terracotta color of the bricks looks fabulous surrounded by the greenery of plants.
- Brick pavers. Brick pavers will give you all of the attractive features of real brick, but will just cost less. They are easy to install as a sidewalk but they will have a shorter lifespan than the actual thick brick material. What is nice about brick pavers is that they are so versatile and easy to handle that you can build your sidewalk yourself as a DIY project.
- Gravel. This is an affordable material, quite versatile and casual. It is perfect for ranches, farmhouses, and cottages as it matches the rustic look of the architecture of these dwelling typologies. In addition, gravel looks very appealing surrounded by natural elements such as rocks and bushes. Last but not least, you can shape it windy or straight and compose various lanes that work as interlocking sidewalks getting you to your doorstep.
- Pallet. These types of sidewalks are quite similar to gravel ones but they are even more budget-friendly. They’re not very resistant and will need constant maintenance, however, they will make your sidewalk feel like a forest. As such, this material is perfect for anyone who loves nature in all its glory.
- Concrete. Sidewalks in concrete are much more urban, sturdy, and minimal. They’re perfect for modern and contemporary homes, even ones that have no greenery around them. If you love a brutalist look, concrete sidewalks are the perfect choice for you.
Contact us at RH Renovation NYC to discuss more sidewalk options and what would be best for your particular location and property.